quinta-feira, 27 de novembro de 2008

Diagnosis

A couple of months ago I noticed a couple of nodes on my neck, they seemed pretty harmless; there was no pain at all. I have no idea of how long they were there, but I didn't think much of them. I showed them to my mom, who always worries too much, and she forced me to go see a doctor. Well, it turned out she was right to worry too much.

At first, I went to a physician since I had no idea of what it was. He told me to do an X-Ray of my chest and a blood test. Both tests were pretty inconclusive and the doctor didn't seem to know what to do. So I decided to go see a good family friend who is a very competent doctor and he started investigating my situation.

After more detailed blood tests, ultrasound and CT scans, no conclusions could be made at all (other than that I had swollen lymphonodes on my neck). The only way to actually know what I had was through a biopsy. I was actually in the middle of a holiday trip, but my doctor made me come back for the biopsy. They made a 1.5 inch cut on my shoulder and removed the whole lymphonode for analysis.

Since my doctor has pretty good connections, the biopsy results came out quite fast. And the veredict was tough to swollow: cancer. It's pretty shocking to hear that, trust me. The doctor calmed us down a little bit, he explained that Hodgkin's Disease is actually the good type of cancer, whose treatment is normally very effective. I honestly thought those were great news and I am 100% positive I will beat this thing.

I will not bend and I will not break. I will write again soon.

Nenhum comentário: