sexta-feira, 28 de novembro de 2008

Day 2 - Staying at home

Since the chemotherapy isn't that kind to my body, even though I didn't feel it much, my doctor said I should just stay home on the following day. My immune system was a little compromised and I could catch something quite easily at a crowded place, for example.

So I just stayed home with Raquel (you will hear lots about her, I am sure). In the morning we had quite the breakfast and hung out. Right before lunch, I decided I should start this blog and posted the first couple of posts. My brother, who I hadn't seen since I got my diagnostic, came over for lunch. He was out of town and arrived the night before. Since he wasn't here during this week, he was obviously super worried about me. I think he calmed down a little bit once he saw how well I was doing.

After lunch Raquel and I watched a flick in between phone calls from many friends with best wishes. That brings me to the point of this post, actually. You have no idea of how much a word of support can make a difference. I have been getting these phone calls, e-mails, and facebook messages from people all over the world, some from good friends, some from people I unfortunately lost touch with, some from people I barely know.

I mean, I won't lie to you. For my sanity's sake, I must be super confident I will beat this thing. But sometimes I do think, "what if I can't beat it?". In those rare moments that my inner strength isn't enough, your words of support and strength comfort me. They keep me positive and make me keep my eyes on the ball. I need to fight this thing with my mind too, and your support, through your kind words or acts, sure makes me stronger.

I will not bend. I will not break.

2 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

Dearest Andre,
I cannot express the shock and initial sadness I felt when I first learned that you had Hodgkins. As I read through your blog however, my fears and worry slowly dissapeared as I quickly realized how brave and positive you are about tackling this challenge. You said that we don't know how much a few positive words can help during this time, and judging by the loving encouragement and support that is pouring in via internet alone, you are swimming in it! This proves what an amazing a person you are, and just how much so many friends care about you. I miss you and send all my love to you.

xo,Kaelin

Andre disse...

Hey Kae!

Thank you so much for the support. As I said on the post, it really means a lot. I miss you too... jamming on first year, having random greek dinner in Kits, playing soccer... such good times.

Keep on reading and say hi every now and then!

Cheers!