sábado, 10 de janeiro de 2009

Day 43 - Good Recovery from Chemo

After my first chemo, I was joking around with a buddy (Drew) saying that I had had hangovers worse than chemo. We even talked about making t-shirts with that line. Well, let's just say that no longer stands. 3 days ago I had another chemo session and it was not nice to me, to say the least.

The first 3 or 4 hours were definitely the worst. For starters, my veins are already in a bad shape. It's hard for the nurses to find them with the needles. Not too mention that my veins sometimes can't take the needles and the nurses need to try again somewhere else. Having said that, the nurse only found a suitable vein after 3 attempts.

Then they started giving me the roughest medicine, which is called decarbazine. It's pretty aggressive and apparently my body isn't tolerating it very well. As soon as they started injecting it in me I started vomiting. Since it takes like 3 hours for it to finish, I vomited a lot on Wednesday morning. By a lot I mean more than 10 times. There was simply nothing else for me to throw up, really.

The good news is that it was actually better to go through that little bit of hell. As soon as I was done with Decarbazine I stopped feeling ill and the aftermath was much better. I even had a full dinner when I got home after the hospital. The following days were good too. I felt pretty healthy. In fact, I am flying to Rio in a couple of days for a little vacation, should be fun.

Sorry Drew, I won't make a t-shirt saying "I've had hangovers worse than chemo". But I will probably make one saying "I won't bend. I won't break."

Nenhum comentário: